Historic Glass Block Renovations: Knapp's Centre
Owner: The Eyde Company
Architect: Quinn Evans Architects
General Contractor: Granger Construction
Mason: Schiffer Mason Contractors, Inc.
Knapp's Centre: The History
So many of the buildings we drive past have a history explaining why they were built and what they came to be. Knapp’s Centre is one of those historic buildings, built in 1937 as a home for the main department store J.W. Knapp Company in Lansing, Michigan. The 190,000 square foot building was constructed using alternating bands of yellow macotta and prismatic glass block. At the time Knapp’s was built, it was known to be one of the most modern building’s in the Midwest.