Historic Glass Block Renovations: Hecht Warehouse
Architect: Antunovich Associates
General Contractor: McCullough Construction, LLC.
Owner: Douglas Development
Hecht Warehouse: The History
Hecht’s was one of Washington D.C.’s oldest and most successful large-scale, locally-owned retail store. The department store itself was located on the corner of 7th Street in an “American Gothic” building. Hecht’s offered an assortment of goods for their customers. In 1934, Hecht’s department store installed the first escalators in Washington. As Hecht’s department store continued to grow, taking over most of the block, they sought to move most of its service operations to a new Art Deco building in 1937. This new building became the central warehouse for Hecht’s department stores.